I can never get sick of purple yam, as it is nutritious and low calorie. After making the Purple Yam Pearls, I have some leftover mashed purple yam. So I decided to use it to make a simple and quick Chinese dessert – Purple Yam Coconut Milk with Sago. Again, this recipe doesn’t require any skills, so you can make this within 15 minutes for a late night dessert.
You can easily adjust the amount of any ingredients in this recipe, and it all depends on how sweet and thick you prefer. So my recipe here uses about 1 purple yam, 1:1 ratio of water and coconut milk for a thicker texture. If you want it runnier, you can go for 1.5:1 ratio of water and coconut milk. You can enjoy this dessert both hot and cold.
Purple Yam Coconut Milk with Sago
- 1 Purple Yam, approx 100g
- Rock Sugar
- 200mL Water
- 200mL Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Sago
- Peel the purple yam with a peeler. Cut into pieces.
- Put the half of the chopped purple yam (approx 50g) into a bowl and to the steamer. Steam for 10-15 minutes or when a fork can poke through easily.
- Mashed the purple yam using a fork. Side aside.
- Boil some water and add sago. Boil for 10-15 minutes. Once they become transparent, remove the pot from heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes with the lid on. Rinse the cooked sago through cold water.
- Put the remaining of the chopped purple yam into 200mL water. Boil for 10-15 minutes or until the purple yam is cooked.
- Reduce to medium-low heat. Add the coconut milk, rock sugar, and mashed purple yam. Stir well.
- When the rock sugar is melted, you should taste it for any adjustment to sweetness.
- Turn off the heat and add the sago in. Stir well. Ready to serve.