We finally purchased an instant pot a few weeks ago, and I am excited to try making different dishes with it. I noticed that there are many recipes featuring western dishes online, but less on asian dishes. I decided to make a Hong Kong classic, Red Curry Beef Brisket (紅咖哩炆牛腩). In less than one hour， you can also get a pot of tender, juicy, flavorful beef brisket.
In this recipe, I added a secret ingredient which is great to ease its heaviness – lychee. You can buy canned lychee in supermarkets, and it brings a hint of sweetness to the red curry. It may sound odd, but I fell in love after trying this at a restaurant. For the leftover lychees, you can turn them into a summer drink by adding them into soda or ice tea.
Red Curry Beef Brisket
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices ginger
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 potato, peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1.5lb beef brisket
- 3-5 pieces lychee, halved (optional)
- 1 small can coconut milk (approx 165mL)
- 3-5 pieces rock sugar (approx 15g)
- 2 star anises
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Trim away the excessive fat from the beef brisket, if necessaey. Blanch in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain the water and cut the beef brisket into cube-size chunks.
- In an instant pot, press the “sautee” button. Add 1 tbsp oil. Add ginger, garlic, and red curry paste. Sautee well.
- Add carrot and beef brisket. Sautee for at least 1 minute. It will become aromatic.
- Add rock sugar, star anises, and 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid. Turn the steam release handle to “sealing”. Press “pressure level” and cook under high pressure for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, release the steam. And add potatoes and lychee into the pot.
- Close the lid again. Turn the steam release handle to “sealing”. Press “pressure level” and cook under high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, and 2 tbsp water.
- After 12 minutes, release the steam. Change to “sautee” mode. Add the sauce and let it boil.
- Once it is boiling, pour the coconut milk in. Wait for it to boil again. Ready to serve.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #sumhomecafe so we can see what you are baking in your kitchen!