Ovaltine Lava French Toast is my new favourite of afternoon tea snacks. When you cut it open, the milk in the middle slowly oozes out. The combination of ovaltine and kinako powder gives a sweet and nutty flavor. I also love the addition of cocoa powder, which creates a hint of bitterness.
Instead of regular white bread, I used the new 22 Grains & Seeds Bread from Oroweat Organics. It uses certified organic ingredients and is sustainably baked. am in love with this bread because it is soft but also with perfect firmness, which is great for making sandwiches.
Ovaltine Lava French Toast
- Silicone Spatula
- 2 slices Oroweat 22 Grains & Seeds bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 150 mL milk
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Ovaltine powder
- Kinako powder
- Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg and 50mL milk.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter under medium-low heat.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture for 10-15 seconds. Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
- In a small pot, combine 100mL milk and corn starch. Boil over medium heat. Stir constantly until it starts to thicken. Remove the pot from heat immediaitely. Add 1 tbsp condensed milk to it. Mix until combine.
- In a small bowl, combine ovaltine powder and kinako powder.
- Put one slice of french toast on a plate. Spread a thin layer of condensed milk on top.
- Place the other slice of french toast on top. Use a spoon to press down the middle of the toast. Pour the thickened milk tohe "hole" on the toast. Sift the ovaltine+kinako powder all over the toast. Sift the cocoa powder on top.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram and tag @pigoutyvr so we can see what you are baking in your kitchen!