I bought a lot of cookie cutters at the beginning of this year, and I finally had a chance to use two of my favourite ones – Chibi-Totoro and O-Totoro. These cookies are super easy to make, with simple ingredients. It has a nice crisp, with a nutty flavor from the black sesame.
Many of you asked where I got these cute cookie cutters. I got them from Taobao, and I bought all my cookie cutters from this shop in Taobao. If you don’t have access to Taobao, you can simply search “totoro cookie cutter” at Etsy.ca. They have many different styles, and most are free shipping.
Black Sesame Totoro Cookies
- Silicone Spatula
- Rolling Pin
- Parchment Paper
- Hand Mixer
- 50 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 20 g icing sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ egg approx 25g
- 90 g all purpose flour
- 20 g black sesame powder
- In a bowl, combine softened unsalted butter, icing sugar, and salt. Whisk until combine and smooth.
- Add egg, one-third at a time, to the mixture. Whisk until combine before adding more.
- Sift all-purpose flour and black sesame powder into the mixture. Mix until a dough is formed. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and put in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 266°F (130°C). Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll the dough into 3mm thick. Lightly dust one of the rolled-out doughs with flour. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes. These cookie won't change color so you can flip over the cookie carefully to see if it is fully cooked.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #sumhomecafe so we can see what you are baking in your kitchen!