My second savory recipe, Kung Pao Chicken, turns out amazing – thanks to Kung Pao Chicken sauce from Lee Kum Kee. The dish overall is simple, and it uses simple ingredients that can be found easily at supermarkets or at home. If you are looking for a quick and restaurant-quality dinner, this is where you should be looking.
It is my first time using a ready sauce because I am often scared of excessive sodium or artificial flavours. And Lee Kum Kee seems to know what I want, which their Kung Pao Chicken sauce has no artificial flavors. They are also cholesterol-free and no trans-fat. And I love how the dish didn’t turn out too salty or overpowering.
With this dish, you can be flexible in a few ingredients. I love adding cashews in Kung Pao Chicken, but others prefer peanuts. You can also add water chestnuts to replace carrots – it will help to give a contrasting crunchy texture to the dish.
Kung Pao Chicken (????)
- 300 g chicken breast cut into 1-inch cube
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine or rice wine
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 green onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 dried chilies cut into little rings
- 6 slices ginger
- ½ carrot julienne
- ½ cup unsalted cashew or peanuts
- ½ pack Lee Kun Kee kung pao chicken sauce
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, shaoxing wine, corn starch, and oil to the chicken. Set aside and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the saucepan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp cooking oil. Add ginger and fry it over medium-low heat. Once the ginger starts to turn into golden color, add dried chili and green onion. Pan fry it over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Transfer the ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the marinated chicken. Fry chicken for 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook until the chicken turns golden brown.
- Add the ginger, green onion, and dried chili into the pan. Pan fry it for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 pack Lee Kum Kee Kung Pao Chicken sauce. Stir fry until the sauce is evenly coated on the chicken.
- Add the cashews or peanuts into the pan. Stir fry for another 1-2 minutes. Ready to serve.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram and tag @pigoutyvr so we can see what you are baking in your kitchen!
Disclosure: the sauces are gifted by Lee Kum Kee