Hotdogs do not always have to serve in a bun. Hotdog with Scallion Pancakes would work just fine, and it is easy and fun to make. It looks similar to a puff pastry, except with a nice chew from the scallion pancakes. You can also be creative in the toppings, such as adding mozzarella cheese, green onions, corn, ketchup, or mustard, etc. It will take you less than 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake in the oven, which can be a quick and delicious breakfast or snack.
Where do I buy Scallion Pancakes?
They can be found in the frozen aisle in mostly all Asian supermarkets. They usually come in a pack of 5, and you can pan fry on its own, or eat it my way!
Everything about TMRW Foods
TMRW Foods is the brand of plant-based sausages that I am going to use in this recipe. I am using the Hickory Maple flavor, which has a hint of sweetness. The sausages are a newly launched product, and it is offered in four flavors – Original Bratwurst, Hickory Maple, Roasted Garlic Herb, and Spicy Sicilian. It is 100% vegan, soy-free, non-GMO, and has 11g of protein per servings. I was surprised by the flavor and texture of the sausage, which tastes almost like a real sausage with nice crispy skin. The flavor is on point, and it is not too salty, so I was really impressed with this product.
Hotdog with Scallion Pancakes
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 2 frozen scallion pancakes
- 1 Hickory Maple Plant-Based Sausages from TMRW Foods or any sausages
- 1 egg
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven at 200 °C or 392 °F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Let the frozen scallion pancakes defrost for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the scallion pancakes like the picture below. The middle piece should be a square.
- Cut the square-shaped scallion pancakes into half (two rectangles).
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. It will be used to brush on the scallion pancakes.
- Place a rectangular scallion pancake onto the lined baking sheet. Brush a layer of egg wash on it.
- Place two half ovals, pointing each other, onto the rectangular piece. Brush a layer of egg wash on it. Repeat steps 6 and 7 once again. You must brush a layer of egg wash before adding an extra layer of pancake. One scallion pancake can make one portion.
- Flip the pancake over and brush a layer of egg wash on top. Use a knife and make a verticle cut in the middle of the pancake.
- Slice the sausage in half, vertically. Place it in the middle of the pancake, covering the cut. Sprinkle a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the above steps for the second one.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Drizzle with ketchup, and they are ready to serve.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram and tag @pigoutyvr so we can see what you are baking in your kitchen!
Disclosure: Plant-based sausages are gifted by TMRW Foods.