I recently got my hands on some high-quality XO sauce, and I decided to add them into Spicy Chili Oil Wonton. It is an easy, 20-minute dish, and the key to this dish is to find great chili oil. I used a mixture of XO sauce and chili oil, but you can also use your favorite chili oil only. I also used frozen wontons in this recipe, but you can also make fresh ones.
Sadly I don’t have enough skills to make fresh wontons, so I tried the frozen wontons from Fisherman’s Wharf Dim Sum. My favorite flavor is the Shanghai Style Pork & Shepherd’s Purse Wonton. They are not too salty, with a generous amount of filling. The wontons are also bigger than other brands. I highly recommend giving them a try!
What is XO Sauce?
XO sauce is originated from Hong Kong, and it is a spicy seafood sauce with a rich umami flavor. Traditional XO sauce is made of dried seafood, such as dried scallops and dried shrimps, which are then cooked in chili peppers, onion, and garlic, etc. The term XO is often used in Hong Kong to describe high-quality and luxurious items, and XO sauce is an expensive and high-end chili oil, as it is made with luxurious dried seafood.
Where can I buy XO sauce?
You can easily find high-quality XO sauce in local Asian supermarkets, or via home kitchens. If you are in Vancouver, I highly recommend trying the Premium XO Sauce from Oh! Sauce. It is packed with dried scallops and shrimps in every bite, with the perfect amount of heat. And it is a great pairing for almost anything, such as the recipe today!
Spicy Chili Oil Wonton (紅油抄手)
- 2 packs frozen wonton approx. 32 pieces
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili oil
- 2 tbsp XO sauce can sub with chili oil
- Green onion for garnish
- Boil the frozen wonton as per the instruction on package. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the saucepan or pan. Add 1 tbsp oil. Add the minced garlic and pan fry until golden. Put into a bowl. (This is optional – you can also add the minced garlic directly into the sauce, but pan frying it will add a nice aroma.)
- In the bowl with minced garlic, add soy sauce, black vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, chili oil, and XO sauce. Mix until combined.
- Plate your wonton in a bowl. Add the sauce on it. Garnish with chopped green onion.