Shrimp Toast is all about its crispy crust, golden-brown shell, with the perfect amount of bouncy, chewy shrimp paste. A flavorful mixture of ground shrimp is spread onto slices of white bread. You can then air-fry, pan-fry, or like what we are doing today – deep-fry them. I normally like to pair it with the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, but I was out of that at home. I used Kewpie Mayo with sprinkles of paprika instead, and it turned out surprisingly delicious.
What Kind of Shrimps should I Use?
Shrimp is an important ingredient in this recipe. It is always better off using fresh shrimp. However, it might not be optimal to find fresh ones all year long. So I would also recommend using frozen shrimp. It is more budget-friendly and easier to find them in local supermarkets. They are also easier to handle, as they are already peeled and deveined. It is important NOT to buy the cooked ones, as they won’t have any stickiness even turning into a paste. For this recipe, I got the frozen Raw Black Tiger Prawns (Medium) from Pricesmart. And they turned out as good as the fresh ones!
Can I use Crusted White Bread?
Yes, of course. It is not necessary to remove the bread crust, but just be careful when deep-frying them. It is easier to burn the crust, which will affect the overall flavour and texture. I would recommend choosing “pan-fry” or “air-fry” if you are not planning to remove the crust. If you are worried about wasting the bread crust, you can easily turn them into snacks and desserts.
Crispy Shrimp Toast
- 300 g shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ egg white
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 3 slices white bread
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In the food processor, add shrimp, salt, black pepper, corn starch, and egg white. Process until smooth. If you do not have a food processor, you can simply mince the shrimp into a paste and add the seasoning.
- Remove the bread crust. Cut them diagonally into two triangles.
- Spread the shrimp paste evenly on each triangle.
- Prepare the eggs and breadcrumbs on two shallow plates. Coat the shrimp toast in egg wash, then in breadcrumbs.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat ½ inch of oil until shimmering. Deep fry the triangles in the pan, shrimp-side down first, until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Then flip and fry the bread-side for 1 minute.
- Transfer the shrimp toast into the Fry Deck to drain. Rest for 1 minute. Ready to serve with your desired sauce.